Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Soviet PMG Gas Mask
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:25 pm 

Hello, everyone!

http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Product_ ... k_PMG.html

I'm new to this board & I'll start with an introduction. I'm Jonathan I live & was born in Singapore & I've only recently started a collection of Communist headgear/gas masks earlier this year. So, this is my review on the 'Soviet Military Latex Rubber Gas Mask PMG' which is the sixth & the latest addition to my (as of now) small collection! Very Happy Now, I won't be going into any excruciating details about the history & design of the mask but instead, offer my own 'experience' with it. Also, if this topic is posted in the forum, I apologize.

Anyway, let's get started. A know this is very late but a few months ago (in May), my friend who was doing a movie, wanted a gas mask & I showed him this site & it's selection of gas masks & he chose the PMG because it resembled the gas masks used by 'Civil Protection' in the video game 'Half Life 2' by 'Valve Software' (which is one of my favourite games, btw).

We haven't bought from Soviet Army Stuff before at that point & judging from many positive comments & experiences as posted on this board, we figured, go for it. As I also collected these stuff, I asked him to order 2 PMGs (paid him in cash) with the other one for my collection. My friend received the packages about 2 weeks later which is great & they were in great condition. He opened both packages (including mine Rolling Eyes ) before passing them to me.

So, when I got home & went to take out the mask, I was surprised at the great condition of the mask! There were no discolourations, no tears, nothing. It was great, it fit well & the only strange thing was that the bag was turned inside out for some reason which I asked my friend if he did it on purpose as a joke & he said that his was also like that when he got it. It wasn't a problem, just strange. The mask fits well, it's very comfortable & it's also a good thing for me that you can wear glasses comfortably under the mask (as I wear glasses). The only thing I dislike is the two holes on top of the mask which when worn, has your hair sticking out of it which may be cute but it kinda removes the 'awesomeness' factor of the mask a little. I'm just nitpicking, really but what's its purpose? Neutral

I haven't used the filter & I don't intend to (for collecting purposes). It appears to be in great condition as well, with no dents. The filter cover & extra speech diaphragm pieces (which I also don't intend to use) are in great condition too. The anti-fog lenses were dirty & looked like as if something was growing on them but it's expected considering this mask is already decades old.

Overall, great mask & great service, I couldn't be more satisfied, thanks. I will definitely be getting more stuff from you guys. Wink

Some photos:

That's my hand, not my foot. ^

Post subject: Re: Soviet PMG Gas Mask
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:12 am 

The stuff on the lenses is probably the anti-fogging coating,either that or chalk dust which is applied to the masks in storage to protect the rubber from damp. Glad you like anyhow. I am not sure what the holes in the top are for! I think it is ventilation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:17 am 

Haha, I know of the chalk dust on rubber gas masks & about the lenses. I was referring to the anti-fog 'coatings'. They are pretty dirty & old (yellowish, definitely not chalk dust) but I'm not complaining just stating it, it's expected. Cool

The strange holes on the top look like they're for carrying the mask when not in use but I don't think it's likely considering it has a bag & is used by the military.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 pm 

Thank you for posting your feedback here and welcome to our forums! Nice photos as well. Speaking of receiving items, I just got my Ushanka and my "Sidr" backpack today! The normal 1 and one half month wait is over! I also received my other stuff from other websites. Very Happy

Last edited by gafrin on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:08 pm 

To be honest with you, I believe them to be for adjustment.

In WWI gas masks came with 'pull tabs,' so that you can arrange your mask to fit comfortably without breaking your seal, and the little handle part on the top I have used to pull the mask back to fit more appropriately to my face and to fully fit the back of my head inside the mask.

So if anything you can use it for that, not sure if this is its exact technical designation but it is what I use it for. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:11 pm 

Wow, that sounds pretty good comrade. I always wondered what those were for, since some newer gas masks had them as well. Pretty good idea actually, since adjusting a gas mask by pulling the front gets kinda annoying after a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 am 

I've tried using the top part of the mask for adjustment but I'm not sure if I've been doing correctly. Are you supposed to just pull it up? Also, how do you wash a PMG? Can it be submerged into water?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 am 

I just noticed you were from Singapore, it is great to find another Asian member here! BTW, I live in the Philippines

About your other question, I'm sure it can be submerged in water, since it is sealed. I know it is safe to do this with the mask alone, so I'm not so sure with the filter on. I don't know the answer to the adjustment question, since I don't own a PMG Mask personally. My guess however is that you do a forward backwards movement with the top part, till it fits properly. Wearing gas masks with a long hair kinda hurts a little, since your hair gets caught in the rubber. What I do to prevent this is put a little "Baby Powder" over my face and hair before wearing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 pm 

Gafrin is correct in answering your question, you just use it to pull it more over the back of your skull and against your face in a forward backward motion. Then you can take your fingers and glide through the edges to make sure nothing buckled up on you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:24 pm 

I advise against washing it by submersion, the best way is a soft cloth and some warm water, no detergents or anything like that, then dry with a towel to protect the rubber from damp