Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Original Soviet Russian Army Tank Helmet - Review
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:15 pm 

This review is in regards to the Russian Army Tank Helmet that can be found here; http://sovietarmystuff.com/Product_292_ ... elmet.html

First off, many will notice that this design is much like the VDV Paratrooper helmet's design, but do not be fooled, there are major structural differences that make these two items worlds apart.

To start, the Russian army tankers helmet is much more heavily fortified than the VDV Paratrooper counterpart, and for good reason also. The VDV needed a lightweight helmet to reduce shock when landing or being struck with debris and so forth. The Russian tanker squads weren't jumping out of planes so they didn't have any problems with a heavier and more reinforced helmet especially when they were closer to hazards inside the tank than the VDV normally were, so that extra protection helped out when you bumped your head on a targeting scope or something of that sort.

The reinforcement makes a huge difference when bumping around or getting struck with BB's or even fists in hand to hand combat. It's a stronger and more rigged reinforcement than the VDV helmet, it seems to feel like padded leather on top of foam rather than the VDV with using 100% foam to soften impact. Also, the earphones that are attached reduce sound a great deal, and also will reduce shock from the sides and will prevent your ears from being damaged by loud sounds such as gun fire or general crashing.

The helmet's strapping system is a leather buckle, and there is also an adjustment strap on top to fit multiple head sizes, so there is no real need for worrying about head size when ordering. The buckle I find to be much more reliable than the VDV helmet's loop system and less complicated, it will keep the helmet snug and secure, and you will also find an added comfort from this as well.

The sound reduction that is featured through the earphones is also a big plus in some cases as you will not have to worry about deafening yourself when jumping down into an enclosed area covered in metal or other objects that would cause a loud crash in an enclosed area. I can see these also doubling as ear muffs for when firing off weapons and such, but it would be a lesser aid than certified ear protection would provide, but none the less, a good alternative.

The wiring gear is unnecessary unless you somehow find an adapter or actually get to drive a tank or something, but the extra appearance it gives to the helmet makes a big difference with accuracy as well as adaptability in any uniform you are wanting to use this helmet with.

The insulation is also quite different from the VDV helmet, it seems to be thicker and warmer but at the same time not much more cumbersome than a steel helmet or regular Kevlar helmet you will find elsewhere. It completely locks out wind from chilling the insides of your ears, and also provides some very good winter protection from the cold elements of the seasons.

All in all, I wouldn't say that this helmet is better than the VDV, but it does have some essentials that may prove to be more useful in your setup than the VDV helmet would provide to some individuals. In my honest opinion, I would recommend, and I have done this myself as well, purchasing both helmets for your uniforms and see which one you prefer over the other in different settings and scenarios, both will prove highly essential in airsoft wars and general imitation practices.

In conclusion, I give this Russian Army Tank Helmet; a very exceptional 9.5/10, this is definitely a must have item in all aspects, the only reason it didn't get a 10, is because you will want to consider the differences between the VDV Paratrooper helmet, and this tank helmet to suite your needs more than the other.